Pages

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Do Not Worry

If you've been in the church world at all I'm sure you've heard this verse often:
Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?

I've heard that verse a million times and yet I tend to be a bit of a worrier by nature, I can worry about anything and everything from our finances to whether or not my children are going to be good adults, to whether or not I said to much to a friend etc etc. I can worry about anything.

Not a trait I am proud of...

Recently though I feel as though God has been dealing with this issue in me more and more because not only does worry just remain worry, it turns into doubt, and doubt can be like a deadly cancer seeping into every area of my life, I will leave doubt for another post.

So through God dealing with me in this area I am learning about grace and mercy, He speaks in His word about His mercies being new every morning (Lamentations 3:23)and about how His grace is sufficient for us and that His power is made perfect in our weakness(2Corinthians 12:9) and clearly this is an area of weakness for me.

So I began to unpack this a bit and I pondered that verse His mercy is new every morning, so every morning I have a choice to believe that:
His mercy extends to me TODAY, 
He is patient with me TODAY, 
He loves me TODAY,
He truly cares about me TODAY.  
Wow that in itself is refreshing and can give me hope to travel through this day. Yet the worry still lingered so I needed to unpack this one a bit further to where He talks about His grace being sufficient for me, this is where I had my 'aha' moment so to speak.  His grace is sufficient for me TODAY, He is lavishly pouring out His grace on me so that I can get through TODAY.  He tells me not to worry about tomorrow because He hasn't yet given me the grace I need to get through tomorrow.  He only gives me daily grace, daily sustaining grace to handle what I need to handle today and if I get so caught up in the worry about tomorrow and the 'what ifs' that await in my tomorrow unanswered I loose the blessing of today.....WOW........simply wow. 

We were never meant to carry the burden of tomorrow today.  This doesn't mean that we can't plan ahead and that we don't use wisdom to plan for tomorrow it simply means that whatever happens tomorrow the grace will be there to get us through when we need it.

So today I rest in the fact that the moment I opened my eyes this morning, swung my feet over the side of the bed God was there, standing with His hand outstretched to me saying "Here I am Louise, take my hand let's walk this day out together, and if any problem should arise I will be here with you every step of the way.".....and when the worry about tomorrow and the day after and the day after that tries to creep in He says 'Don't worry about tomorrow I will be with you every single step of the way but DON'T MISS the blessing I have placed in today.'

Wow sometimes I am overwhelmed by His goodness and faithfulness.  I pray that you catch the glimpse of His love and faithfulness today and if you are a worrier like me I hope this has helped you in some way!!

To close I will add a verse that is such an important part of my walk with Jesus, so much so that I contemplated tattooing it on my wrist (insert my parents freaking out right here, I haven't done it yet but who knows ;) ) here it is.

ISAIAH 41:10 :
Don’t worry—I am with you.
    Don’t be afraid—I am your God.
I will make you strong and help you.
    I will support you with my right hand that brings victory.



HUGS FRIENDS!!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

oh girl...i'm a worrier by nature too!!!!! HELP!!