Pages

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Be Still....

A while back each time I prayed and asked for answers to some of the things I was facing I would hear this echoing in my mind over and over again 'Be still and know that I am God'. Psalm 46:10

The first while after hearing that I kept on thinking, well I do know who God is and I love Him. Trying to convince myself that I was on track and that if I could simply grasp this concept of being still and knowing He is God that the answers would then come.  What I didn't realize is that just grasping the concept and knowing who God is are two different things and not to mention that the being 'still' part has always been a bit of a problem for me. So I tried to unpack this one a bit....
The dictionary describes grasping as:
1.to seize and hold by or as if by clasping with the fingers or arms.
2.to seize upon; hold firmly.
3. to get hold of mentally
So here I get the picture of grasping God, to seize and hold onto firmly the idea of Him and who He is. As if I have a picture in my mind of what the church says or believes of who God is or even better yet His word.  His word is by far the best way of getting an idea of who God is.  So then I can firmly grasp what the word says of who God is and get a hold of that picture mentally and attempt to go through life with that picture, but that isn't what God is saying, He is saying be still and KNOW that I am God.  Okay so then I go to the definition of know :
1. To perceive directly; grasp in the mind with clarity or certainty.(there is that word grasp)
2. To regard as true beyond doubt
3. To have a practical understanding of, as through experience.
4. To have fixed in the mind.
5. To have experience of.
6.a. To perceive as familiar; recognize: I know that face.
b. To be acquainted with.
7. To be able to distinguish; recognize as distinct: knows right from wrong.
8. To discern the character or nature of.

And here is where I stand in awe, see to grasp in the mind is only the first step in knowing who He is.  Anyone can take hold of an idea and grasp it but until they have a knowing through first hand experience with it, it only remains an idea.  
So now this verse repeated in my head was becoming clearer to me and this is where the being still part comes in.  Everything in our world is vying for our attention, media, cellphones, tv, our kids, everything.  Yet here He says BE STILL and KNOW that I am God.  It's in the being still that what we have grasped sinks deeper from our thoughts mentally into our heart. It's in experiencing His love for us through revelation of His word  is where we can begin to KNOW and recognize the face and the voice of our creator, His character and His love for us.
Its in the KNOWING who He is and His heart for me that my questions about health, lack, my path in life and my worth have an answer. 
For in His word some of the answers to my questions are :
1)Psalm 103:2-3~ Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits, who forgives all your sins, who heals all your diseases
2)Phillipians 4:19~ My God will use his glorious riches to give you everything you need.  He will do this through Christ Jesus
3)Jeremiah 29:11~ "I say this because I know the plans that I have for you"  This message is from the Lord. " I have good plans for you. I don't plan to hurt you. I plan to give you hope and a good future."
4)Psalm 139: 13-15 ~For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. 
 
I can then choose to look at those verses and only mentally grasp them or I can meditate on them, in the stillness, till they become a knowing in my heart which is so much deeper than a mental grasp.  
Spending time in the Bible, His word, is the best way to get to know Him, He longs for a one on one relationship with us, quietly speaking revelations to our hearts and loving us through His scriptures.  They become alive with His goodness and then we begin to truly know Him.
I am still learning, I know I won't fully arrive in this area while here on earth, I still get distracted and can't possibly pretend to know it all.  I just know He is faithful and that He has incredible patience with me and when I get off track He is there waiting to lovingly restore me to Himself!!
 
So I say try it, spend time in the stillness with Him.  
 
He truly loves you and wants the best for you!!
 


 

2 comments:

Jody said...

Great post my friend! I really struggle with the "Be Still" part of my relationship with God. Too often I allow the distractions to infiltrate my mind, my time and my spirit. I would definitely say this is a practiced art. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Louise said...

I completely understand that Jody!! Definitely a practised art that I have yet to perfect ! Hugs friend!!