Pages

Friday, January 01, 2010

Are you listening to me?

Walking through the mall in the busyness of the season I had an aha moment, a father with two young girls was walking by and I happened to overhear their conversation it went something like this :
Girl 1 - Dad she pushed me first
Girl 2- yeah well you shouldn't walk in front of me
Dad- girls is it not nice to treat each other like that, does that mean if someone pushes you you should push them back?!

At this point they got out of earshot and I thought I shouldn't follow them to find out what they said, might of been a bit creepy.

This conversation allowed me as a mom to breathe a sigh of relief, sometimes I feel like I am the only one who is constantly reminding my children to be kind, be nice, talk nice ....every where we go. It feels at times like I am a broken record and that I am constantly on their case.

As I was thinking about this I was gently reminded that God is constantly doing the same thing through His Holy Spirit, constantly sending gentle reminders to be kind to that person who has nothing, to speak softly to that child when I get angry, to love without conditions, to continue to pursue Him without ceasing. Imagine how frustrated He could become with me when I don't listen the first time and do things my own way thinking that I can do it better and yet He continues to gently remind me of a better way, His way.

This was my aha moment, as much as I want what is best for my children and I constantly find myself reminding them so that they can turn out as positive adults, how much more does God love them and me? How much more does He also want His best for us?

Thank-you Lord for your gentle reminders, help me to listen more and act on what you have asked me to do.

3 comments:

PamJ said...

Great post Louise! I need to do the same... listen and obey.

Just noticed your header words, 'new year, new beginnings.' I just put that as my status before I came over here to read your new post!

Happy New Year :) and many blessings to you and your family.

Rose said...

Thanks Louise for the gentle reminder, I too feel like I'm a broken record!!! I know I also need to listen more and do what he says not on my own strength. Thanks for all you do for me and the you know what's fit great!!! Love you!!!

Kathy and Carl said...

I'm glad that his reminders are gentle, even though I deserve a bit of a stronger one! Thanks for sharing your aha! moment and Happy New Year.