Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009


Simple Thankfulness

Today as I was tidying my kitchen I emptied a box of apples into my fruit bowl when I had a memory flashback. It was this, a while back my mom shared part of her childhood memories with me, memories of life at home as the oldest sister learning to bake bread at age 5, helping to run the entire household at age 10 with 9 siblings to help care for. She shared at one point that through this all she dreamed of someday having a home and a family of her own and along with those one of her biggest wishes was to own a fridge with a drawer filled with apples. APPLES? I asked her, to which she replied yes it was a huge treat to get one apple a year as a Christmas gift so to her having a drawer full of them in her mind was the epitome of dream come true because that meant that life would be going really well to afford that.

So as I stood there cleaning my counters and placing the apples into the bowl I couldn't help but think about how far my parents have come, not only does she now have a fridge with much more in it than apples but she cares for her family in such a way that we always know that we are loved, she makes meals that are out of this world,my mom along with my dad have afforded us so many extra luxuries growing up.

In this season of 'accumulation of more stuff' I need to remind myself that a long time a long time ago my mom dreamed of a time where she could have unlimited apples and now I, her daughter, takes that so for-granted.

I am so thankful to God for opening up my eyes during times where I need a gentle reminder of the blessings that surround me each and everyday.

So today I say thanks for a bowl of apples.

8 comments:

Nadine said...

That was lovely Louise. It's a very good reminder this time of year.

PamJ said...

Great story Louise! It is hard to remember WHO gives us everything we have and to be thankful for it... something as 'simple' as apples in the fridge!

andrea said...

thanks for this perspective. I had just gone into my fridge and made applesauce with my 8lbs of soft apples...
definitely made me think!
thanks for sharing!

Wanda said...

I love these stories of remembrances... You shared it so beautifully.

I think of you so often, and just received your lovely Christmas Greeting...

You are a special "light" in my life... Remember that song.... You light up my life....

In Scripture... the Lord says we are the apple of His eye!

Love and Hugs
Wanda

Kathy and Carl said...

Wow. Especially this time of year when we are all consumed with buy, buy, buy, it's a good reminder that not everyone has had as much as we feel is inadequate.

Rose said...

A friend and I were talking over exercising about what our parents lived through and how we take so much for granted. She told me of her Father having to walk to school bare feet in Mexico and putting kleenex boxes on his feet to keep the frost from freezing his feet, man and here I complain about my runners needing to be replaced...We are so blessed to have these parents of ours that have endured so much and have worked so hard to give us what they didn't have, wonderful post Louise and I know for sure Mom makes the best Apple pie in the world, and I know you agree!!!
We are so blessed!!!

Jody said...

Great thoughts Louise. Thanks so much for sharing!

Mike said...

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com
Twitter: AboutParenting
Photo ideas? 100 Portrait Ideas