Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009


When Frustration Breeds Discontentment

Many moments in the past little while I have found myself uttering these words ' this sucks I am going to go crazy'. Most often it is because of my children arguing, fighting, hurling words at each other that are downright awful and nothing I say seems to makes any difference.

I then sit back and get incredibly frustrated and discouraged and immediately it leaves me with a feeling of discontentment. Discontentment is a slippery slope, it allows thoughts of something never being enough, someone never doing the right thing, life just never going right.

Understandably there are times in life when I get frustrated because things aren't happening the way I would like them to go but when I allow the discontentment into my life that is when things take a turn for the worst. A simple argument between my children can lead to thoughts of wishing I had different kids....see?? a scary slope to be on and one that I believe God wants us so to guard our heart against. Instead of discontentment we are asked to be thankful in all things and to always be giving thanks.

In a moment of sheer frustration yesterday when the kids were once again hurling words and anger at each other in the van I turned to Conrad and said ' you know what? a parent of a sick child would have this any day over having to see their child suffer .' So in that moment even though my feelings may have been ones of frustration and anger I chose to thank God for my healthy children and that in that moment they were sitting in my van arguing with each other because I know I would rather have that any day over living a lonely, selfish existence of having things the way I think they should be.

I am sure there will be many moments of frustration over the period of summer holidays but I know for myself I want to guard against it breeding discontentment in my life because I know I have so much to be thankful for!!!

10 comments:

Gaby said...

And that is the power of words, thoughts and emotions. Good choice, Louise!

ValleyGirl said...

You're so right! When I think how awful it would be to have to face life without them, I'll take the whining, yelling, and bickering any day!!

andrea said...

i just said something to that effect yesterday...so it's not just me!!!we do have so much to be thankful for. someone told me on Sunday that sibling rilvary gives our kids confidence and the ability to make their own decisions as they go into adulthood...not be big fan of the fighting, but it gave me some extra grace with my own kiddos today!

Wanda said...

It takes a wise woman to admit her true feelings, examine them and then come up with a mature and healthy answer.

You did just than Louise... Nothing can compare with healthy children...

You godliness is shining through....

Love and Hugs
Wanda

Kathy and Carl said...

It's always hard in the moment to remember and be thankful. Goodness! But thank you for being honest, because that allows me and your other readers to stop and be honest with ourselves as well. I have so much to be thankful for.

Andrea said...

That's a good reminder for me, as I am already pulling my hair out with the bickering and I feel it's gonna be a LONG summer.

Nadine said...

It seems to me that you have things in right order and not letting your frustrations get you down. Thank you for the example.

Roo said...

amen friend. wise words. and a timely reminder.

Teresa Kline aka va.sunshine said...

totally amazing photos...wow!
enjoy *~*

raisingbabies said...

Amen and I can so relate!