Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009


Reflections of a Cookie Cutter Life...

As I was driving home from my in-laws last night this came to my mind, Louise you live a cookie cutter life, a cute little family, married and living in a suburb. I can't help but look at my life and believe I do have what the general population would call a 'cookie cutter life'.

The reason I say that is partly because of my family and Conrad's family, both our parents are still happily married , his for 43 years and mine for 36. My mom's parents are still together this year it will be 61 years, my dad's parents and Conrad's grandparents were together with their spouses until one of them passed away.

It is truly amazing in this day where most of the kids at school come from divorced families or have had their families affected by divorce or separation in some way. There is so much hurt all around and I have been fortunate enough to have not been affected by what society calls the 'norm' these days. I am happy and contented with my cookie cutter life. Growing up with parents that have always shown and given love, in-laws who I love dearly who I call Mom and Dad and they call me daughter and do so happily(I hope ;) )

As I continued driving and my children were sleeping behind me I prayed that they too could experience the 'cookie-cutter' life. Is our marriage always perfect and smooth? absolutely not, it takes work and time but I know that with God's help we can walk through this journey of life together and do so happily.

I know that people reading this may not have had the same experience as I, others will have. What I do know is that all of us have our own stories to tell about how circumstances in our life has affected who we today. I felt that I needed to express how blessed I was realizing this on my ride home, it made all the moments of 'growth' truly worth it.

What is your story?

12 comments:

Nadine said...

It is a blessing to have the love of someone you trust and can grow old with. I agree it does take work, but it is so worth it. Cookie-cutter should be the norm and maybe with more examples like yous it can be.

matilda_rempel said...

A "cookie-cutter" life is truly something to be thankful about and that's what I would like for my kids too.

Wanda said...

You have a gift of expressing yourself in unique ways. I like your Cookie Cutter life...it's a good discription of the Good Things your family has experienced.
Growing old with those you love is such a blessing.

My life on the surface has looked Cookie Cutter ~~ but the deep trenches of tragedy has stained our cookie cutter life.

I wouldn't trade one of those family tragedies...as they have made our family the close knit, family we are....we weathered it all together and came out loving our Lord more and being moved forward in our maturity and Christian Life.

Sometime I will share with you some of those growing incidents...


Love you Louise ~~Love

andrea said...

family is so precious! and happy that you both have had great examples and now are great examples for your own kids. it's not always simple but it is a choice...this cookie cutter life. my godson has had five dads (not including the mom's boyfriends) and horrible examples of parenting. it really breaks my heart. there is another world out there...as long as we can truly be thankful for our blessings and suuport others as they desire our 'normal'.
we DO have so much to be thankful for!

Jody said...

Isn't it great that perfection comes from all the ingredients that go into a cookie? Some ingredients are great on their own - like the icing or chocolate chips, some are terrible on their own, like oil or butter, but when you mix it all together it makes perfection. Kind of like your "Cookie Cutter" life!

Love ya Louise! Thanks for another great post!

Alexis Jacobs said...

I love the cookie cutter life and I pray that my kids find the same type of life.

Great post. :-)

Dana said...

a cookie cutter live is a good thing!! hold on to the goodness you have! not all have that :)

Kathy and Carl said...

You do have lots to be thankful for and it is a blessing to have you be an example for others. A cookie-cutter crafted by God? I'd want no other life! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on blessings with us.

LiLi said...

Louise, I love the post and agree with everyone else that your "cookie cutter" life is amazing....it is not something handed to you, you have to work hard at it everyday and you and Conrad are perfect example.

As you know Todd and I were the opposite growing up...both with divorced parents (some with multiple marriages that failed) and everyday we make a choice to continue our cookie cutter life to show our kids what commitment and growing old with your best friend is really about!! Keep up the hard work!!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I totally felt this in my heart. Especially in the blogging world when everything seem so anti-cookie cutter, I can totally relate.

Rose said...

Wow, Louise it's been way too long that I've ignored my computer(not you of course)please forgive me? I've missed out on so much again, I truly feel closer to you when I read all your posts. I know it would be great for me to start blogging yet I still make excuses, like when would I have the time. keep encouraging me or hounding me or something and maybe I can get with the times...lol Anyway I love all your posts and you are so right we are so blessed to have come from the homes we have and strive to have the same for our kids, you're kids have great examples to follow. Thanks for sharing your heart and the mitten thing I think it must run in the family as Malachi wouldn't let me buy him new mitts the other day he wanted to keep his old ones...too cute.lol Love you Girl!

Rose said...

Wow, Louise it's been way too long that I've ignored my computer(not you of course)please forgive me? I've missed out on so much again, I truly feel closer to you when I read all your posts. I know it would be great for me to start blogging yet I still make excuses, like when would I have the time. keep encouraging me or hounding me or something and maybe I can get with the times...lol Anyway I love all your posts and you are so right we are so blessed to have come from the homes we have and strive to have the same for our kids, you're kids have great examples to follow. Thanks for sharing your heart and the mitten thing I think it must run in the family as Malachi wouldn't let me buy him new mitts the other day he wanted to keep his old ones...too cute.lol Love you Girl!