Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009









Time to breathe....

Since coming home I have needed time to breathe so here I sit and will make the time. I thought I would share with you all a little bit of what I wrote while on the road back to the airport from our hotel.....and a few pictures of course.....

January 16th, 2009 -9:30am
Driving through the countryside on route to the airport I have many thoughts on this 3 hour journey on rough roads destroyed by the hurricanes through various towns and villages. I see many things that I long to understand, I have had the privilege of traveling to many different countries and seeing people in various walks of life yet the Cuban people amaze me each time I visit. They seem so happy and contented with a life that we would deem extremely simple and yet there is a part of me that longs for simplicity.
I peer through a shuttered window an
d see a single rocking chair in a tiny room and think to myself what is the life of the person who sits there daily, what are their dreams? do they have a family? As I look through another window I see five women all sitting in a circle, is this their version of "morning coffee?" As we continue to drive along a kind lady blows me a kiss, a little boy smiles and waves, an elderly lady is sitting on her porch enjoying the fresh air, a young couple is sitting on a swing deep in conversation.... there are so many people everywhere.
What do they think of us people who travel into their country by the thousands most not wanting to immerse themselves in the country but rather want a speedy trip to the bubble of a 5 star hotel in the lap of 'Cuban luxury' while still complaining about the best that Cubans have to offer?!
We are without a doubt blessed by the wealth that we live in everyday just because we live in Canada, yet I am sure if you'd ask most Cubans they too would say they are blessed. For what is the standard by which we judge blessing and wealth is it by the stuff that we accumulate and the houses we live in? or is it by the love of family and friends that surrounds each of us.
Each time I visit I become so aware of th
e consumerism that surrounds our culture and how easily I fall into it and each time I make the resolution that I need to be more thankful everyday with what I have instead of always wanting more.
Goodbye Cuba I know I will visit
again............




**** about 170 pictures on Facebook for those of you who know me on there ;)


13 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

And I VERY much enjoyed looking through them!!! Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL memories, Louise!

Gaby said...

Thank you for that Louise. You are going to be blessed for realizing that gift and sharing it by LIVING OUT LOUD! You go Girl!

Anonymous said...

Everything you said is so true and I'm sure going to a poor country really brings that home, what a beautiful post. Love you and wish I had been there to see what you described I know I need help in this consumerism as well, thanks for sharing.

svea said...

so true, so sweet and your heart for the precious cuban people I know shines through to them. Hoping for good rest and reorienting time for you. big hugs- svea

Erin said...

That was a beautiful and well written post, Louise. Those people are definitely blessed to have you vacationing in their country and spreading the love you do. (((hugs)))

Wanda said...

Oh my Louise ~~ thank you for the tour... and your timely narative.

The color of that water...amazing.

And darling pictures of everyone!

LOL:Wanda

lil ole' me..... said...

Your posts never cease to inspire me.

It does make me reflect on all I have and all that I am ungrateful for. I need to really count my blessings... cause there are many!

candypb said...

I'm in complete agreement with you and the simplicity they lived daily. It seem's so peaceful and you could see they lived their lives with a lot of grattitude. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It reminds me again to always be thankful.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

This was oh so true Louise. Everyone should count their blessings often and frequently.

Those shots make me want a vacation TODAY.

Dana said...

i think those are such beautiful pictures!!!! makes me want to go on a vacay!!

Alison said...

Hey Louise,
I am not on Facebook anymore. Can you send me the link to the pictures. I would love to take a look. Looks like you guys had a blast!
Alison

Alexis Jacobs said...

Amazing pictures. I am so glad you guys had a great time. I am jealous!

Brandy said...

beautiful post louise! thanks for sharing your thoughts.