Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008




Decorating the tree....

Yesterday we spent the morning with our Grandpa Hugh decorating the tree. The kids become so excited about placing their special ornaments on the tree, everything from Kindergarten crafts to their annual ornament from us. I call ours the 'Eclectic Christmas Tree', it is not designer, it is not matching but it is all from the heart, each ornament a special memory of a time not so long ago. This is my tree and I am proud.

As we spent time together as a family decorating our tree I was reminded that life isn't about me and what I can have and what I can get and what I can do to get someone else's approval, but it is about these moments- creating memories with my children, about growing closer in relationship with my hubby about reaching out to those around us and making them feel welcome in our lives.

I love this season and the special times with friends and family, I pray that I am reminded daily in my walk with God about the bigger picture, reaching out to others and making them feel welcome in my world.

9 comments:

all over the map said...

What you wrote is so beautiful and true. I think Christmas is the perfect time for us to remember those sentiments. After all, it is all about Jesus and He is the reason for the celebration. I think giving to others is the message and example we should all put forward in His name.
I love your tree. I grew up with the same traditions. Every ornament has a sentimental value. Each purchased, gifted and or made with love. I get a new ornament still from my mum each year & I give her one too. It's a family thing. I have all my special ornaments from childhood and they all have a place on the tree. One day when your kids are grown and leave the house they will take with them the same special ornaments. It's like a piece of home they will share with the family they make.

Gaby said...

Oh, Louise...the eclectic trees are the best! Ours is the same. I absolutely love it! So, did you play BoneyM or Kenny Rogers while decorating? Or was Conrad playing on the piano?

jennifer said...

What a wonderful day! The kids look thrilled.

Do you know I haven't done a THING yet? ZERO decorating! Busy day tomorrow!

andrea said...

those are the best trees...the memory trees! what a special day. your kids are adorable.
i love you perspective and desire for others to know God and the bigger picture...it's what it's all about!

Valarie Lea said...

I love your tree! Its alot like mine. I like being able to have memories with each ornament. :)

candypb said...

Love your thoughts.
We had a question asked at Church about the reason we prepare for Chirstmas.
"Why don't we look at this day as the Lords Coming? Start preparing for that instead of gifts and decorating."
So true, but I just spent the whole day decorating. LOL...
I love your tree!!!

Dana said...

great post!!!!

very cute pic of the kids... i love it!

Kathy and Carl said...

How awesome is that. To spend time with family decorating the tree. I love those family traditions. The pictures are beautiful, as always Louise.

Roo said...

very sweet.
very true.
very good reminder!

thanks louise!