Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

Supposedly We are not given more than we can handle.....

So then why does it feel as though my toes are on the line going over the edge?? No one ever said mothering was going to be easy and I am the first to admit that I am far from perfect in this department. I try and do my best at explaining certain attitudes aren't allowed, that being rude is not okay, that yelling and screaming is disrespectful..yada yada yada...all seemingly falling on deaf ears.

You see ,as I have mentioned in earlier posts ,I have one particular child who I never know whether or not he will flick the switch into full out freak out mode and this could take place just about anywhere without any feeling of embarrassment or qualms about people watching. Such was the instance today at the dentist when there was wailing and gnashing of teeth and a run down the hallway where I have to grab him and stop him from all out running out of the office and drag him back down the hallway(okay stop chuckling..not funny) while the dentist is patiently trying to explain to him that all he wants to do is have a look at his teeth. I mean seriously my father in law is a retired dentist this is NOT his first time he has been in a dentist's chair ..why does this have to be so difficult?! I come off looking like the worst mother ever and as I swallowed what was left of my pride I try to calmly convince him that this is important...but in the back of my mind I am thinking boy oh boy this kid is going to receive discipline the minute we step into the van.....sigh....frustrating. He eventually followed through with the fastest cleaning job I have ever seen, refused x-rays and fluoride treatment. And yes I did follow through with the discipline a careful explanation of what is and is not okay in public(as though I have never explained that before!!) and no video games/TV for the rest of the day...more wailing and gnashing of teeth. Will this ever end???


Signed,
Frustrated Mama!!!

13 comments:

andrea said...

oh, that is so not fun! i can totally imagine this happening (to me).As mothers, we can picture many different scenerios for any event...and yes, once in a while, our kids just decide to change things up! AUGH!!!(and then, they make us work for our money!!!) sometimes i wish that i had a video camera for when they act out in public.then i could replay it back to them when they are calm ...but that would mean planning ahead...and we have our hands full already...and last i've checked, our ancestory does not include octopus!
k, sounds like we both are in need of a long weekend...

Kimberly said...

Been there. Oh have I been there. So sorry!

On the plus side, your blog looks beeeyooootifulll!

gloria said...

our parents were the last breed to be able to use corporal punishment in public. in fact, it was encouraged! if a child acted up and you didn't warm up their behind you were frowned at.... *sigh*, lucky parents.

Louise said...

Andrea---OH YES this mama is in NEED of a LONG weekend, I see some Rest and Reading this weekend!!!

Kim- Yeah its not fun eh? thanks dear!!

Gloria- OH I hear ya, what I wouldn't have given for a swift swat on the rear end...him not me!! LOL

Debbie said...

I feel for you. Kids...I agree with the last comment. Wish we could just give them a good swat on the butt in public. Okay...sometimes I have call me bad but kids need it. I got a swat on the butt one or two times and I turned out just fine. I wish you a happy, peaceful and relaxing weekend.

Roo said...

oh man!!!!!! poor mama!
i hope you pour yourself a great big bubble bath tonight (heavy on the bubbles)....along with a mega size chocolate bar.

xo

Roo said...

ps i was just remembering when my parents took me in to get a few needles (we were planning a trip over seas) i think i was 4....
it took several large nurses holding me down to get that needle into me. i was screaming, biting, yelling...you name it. they never saw such fire come out of someone so small.

svea said...

sweet louise,
I am so sorry that you had such a day. THe last week has felt a bit like that with my little one who has pushed every button possible in public with me. You are a wonderful Mama, and I am sending prayers for grace and peace your way. even as I cry out myself"Oh GOd give me your heart for this little schnerpz" Big hugs!

michelle of bleeding espresso said...

Well since I'm not a parent, I can't offer advice, but I can tell you that if I were witnessing that, I certainly wouldn't have thought you were the worst mother in the world...I would've just thought your hubby passed on some rather tantrum-y genes ;)

As we say in Italy, forza!

Rose said...

Love you Louise and you are an awesome Mama even when some days we feel like the worst! I'm praying that God gives you a little more patience every day and most of all wisdom, I sure know you are not alone Girl, and for me that is comforting even when in the moment nothing feels like it could get better. You go and enjoy a big cup of coffee and chocolate of course! I'm praying for you every step of the way and I like what the Girl from Italy said about the husbands genes, only problem for me I think I was the one throwing the tantrums but then you would know that better than I growing up with my hubby.
I also love the new blog skin, it's beautiful!!!same as you!

Andrea said...

oh girl...can i ever relate. public freak-outs like that are SO not fun. sorry you had to experience that.

Gaby said...

Oh Louise...big HUG for you! that's a tough one. Went through the same thing with Alea two dentist visits ago. I don't think she'd ever seen me so mad. I swear steam was coming out of my ears. She had a sleep over planned and I cancelled that, and she got a major couple of swats on her butt! I think i may have over reacted a little, but next visit she was nervous, but cooperative. You are an AWESOME mom! Hang tough, school starts in two days!

Wanda said...

Oh that is so NOT FUN!

It's such a helpless feeling when you are in the middle of it.

I think the Lord knocked off most of my rough edges by situations like you were in.

Parenting is the school of hard knocks...but you have blogger friends to share their encouragement and wisdom and I wish I had that so many years ago.

Love and Hugs
Wanda