Pages

Saturday, September 08, 2007


Prayers DO get answered....

Last night around 10pm I got a phone call from my hubby..since he is out in Banff climbing mountains I was happy to get his call. He sounded a tad emotional on the other end of the line and I asked him 'did you have a great time?' his answer was ' your husband is alive and that almost didn't happen.' Naturally my response was WHAT??? Going back a bit yesterday morning before the kids left for school I said to them while eating breakfast 'we should pray for daddy and pray for protection and safety as he climbs the mountain today' so we did and off the kids went to school. I didn't think much about it until he called me....he wasn't able to share much with me last night because the emotions were so raw and he couldn't speak but he called back this morning and was able to talk here is a bit of what happened......


They were climbing Mt.Temple when a freak snow storm hit near the summit the visibility was low and the mountain got covered quickly in 3 inches of snow....there are MANY drop offs and cliffs on this trek SO with the visibility low and the trail covered they were slowly making their way down when Keith, Conrad's climbing buddy fell of a 30ft cliff, Conrad called to him below and he responded but now how was Conrad going to get down, he called down to Keith telling him that he'd go back up and look for another route...as he was doing this Keith was doing his own looking around and looked up to where Conrad would be and saw a 1000ft drop he started yelling to Conrad and Conrad couldn't hear him, Conrad was trying to yell for Keith and Keith couldn't hear him. Conrad ended up missing the cliff and coming back down to where Keith was but yelled for Keith and there was no response as Keith had moved on, at this point Conrad thought Keith was dead, he said 'okay God its just me and you'. (during this whole time the visibility is still low and snow still falling) Conrad set out alone to find the way down as he went he rounded a corner and saw Keith, he describes that moment as one where all the emotions you could think of came out, ( Conrad was incredibly emotional sharing this) so they continued slowly down the mountain....this trek took them a total of 10hours. Conrad also told me they took lots of video and pictures on the way up but on the way down he didn't take any he explained in his words that ' if I would have taken any video it would've only been to say goodbye'....(tears)....for any of you that know Conrad he is ALWAYS positive a tornado could be going through our neighborhood and he'd say ' oh its no big deal, we'll be fine' so to hear him this raw with emotion I know its a big deal not something small. I asked him if this brought back memories of all his other climbing adventures(because there were MANY including ones with falling) and he said "nope we have BOTH NEVER experienced something like this before. Sounds like a bad scene out of a movie!!!

I am thrilled to say he is safe and sound and enjoying the hot springs today. I am sure that he will share the complete story when he gets home tomorrow...that above was the bits and pieces he was able to get out.

I am blessed and thankful for answered prayer, for protection and safety and a God who cares!!!

I can't wait to wrap my arms around my man and tell him how much I love him!!!

9 comments:

it's a gong show... said...

Between your adventures and your husbands, I think the two of you should write a book. I am SO glad to hear that your hubbie is ok and on his way home.

ValleyGirl said...

That's.... wow. What an ordeal. You must be so relieved that he's on his way home now, rather than off to climb some more!

Elin said...

Wow-I'm so glad they are both ok. I just told Clint that his chances of getting into mountain climbing dramatically decreased...

LiLi said...

I am crying reading this and it is not even my own husband...I am going to give him a big hug when he gets home too :) Just confirms that we have to live each day to the fullest and trust in our god!!

lil ole' me..... said...

Louise, wow.... I don't know what else I can say, but you are right- thankfully, prayers do get answered!

Louise said...

Hey Everyone - thanks for your comments and thoughts! I appreciate you all!

Andrea said...

WHAT?!?! What a crazy, scary ordeal! And even though you only heard the story after you knew he was okay, the feelings of "what if" are so strong and emotional.

So glad he's okay.

Wanda said...

Wow, what an adventure. I'm so happy for God's protection! Finally back from LA and trying to catch up.

it's me, Val said...

Louise, I have been so bad about checking my blogging friends that I had no idea he was even away and to read his story --- wow. Thank GOD he is okay!!!! This makes his pictures even more amazing. How is he doing? I'm sure he will forever feel an impact in his life from what happened I bet it's changed him. ((hugs)) to you.